Monday, September 26, 2011

Burlap, Pumpkins & Ribbons Oh My!

It's about this time every year that I get the itch to decorate for Fall. I went up in my attic and took a look at my decor and had a 'ho hum' moment with my options.  I know it sounds fussy but I was sick of the same old cheesy Hobby Lobby pumpkins that I put out every year. Then just the other night my good friend Mei left me a gorgeous pumpkin on my door step. It was decorated with beautiful ribbon, twigs (I'm sure from her backyard), burlap, & vintage knick knack pieces. It also smelled like Fall. A mix between apples, carmel & cinnamon. It sparked something in me to want to decorate and leads me to this morning's project. Now, this might be a goofy project to you depending on your mad skills with a sewing machine. However, just getting my machine threaded is a major accomplishment for me. Ha.
The other day I went to the Farmer's Market and me & the family picked out pumpkins to decorate. But my table was missing something......so in an effort to not go to the store AGAIN I decided to use up some burlap material that I had laying around and make a table runner. Now, this is totally elementary for sure but I am proud to have made something that I actually like and will use. So here is some pictures of this morning's project. Don't laugh.
So this is my scrap material that I started with. I measured my store bought table runner and went from there.

My little starter machine. I think we were both dreading me getting on this again. 

 I folded the length of the sides in 1" and pressed them.
 I sew'd a straight line. I know...
 Of course, the bobbin goes out again. We get into a fight and I win this time.
 Fold & press the ends in 1"
 you guessed it.....sew it shut.
 The bobbin & I get in another fight.......he wins. I was going to add ribbon across the bottom for added detail but never could make amends with my bobbin. Maybe next time:)
 And voile'......my table is pretty.


Thanks for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Toni Parvin
CoffeeShop Designs